Friday, January 30, 2009

YOU THEN AND YOU NOW

GANGSTER RAP FORTUNE 500 LIVING

Aight now this topic came about from me listening to a few songs on my ipod. Now I'm a hip hop head. I go back as far as KRS-1 to Kool Moe Dee to Run D.M.C. and up to Lil Wayne to Tip to Jay to Kanye, you name it. I'am hip hop ya dig. Its my culture, its who I am. The way I walk talk act and carry myself. So when its an issue with my culture I speak on it.
The issue I'm having is this, Gangster Rap. Do I have a problem with it? Of course I don't. Why don't I? Because the hip hop culture is based upon being true to yourself. Taking your life your situations, your environment and sharing it with the world. Giving those who listen to you a chance to hear who you are. Your pain, happiness, thoughts, emotions, everything. That's what hip hop is based upon. Introducing yourself and describing your life each time you put your hands on a mike. Each time you step into a booth. Each time that you load up pro tools. Each recording, each song, each verse is your life on paper. Now for me, that's where the issue of gangster rap starts ya dig.
Now I respect every artist out there doing there thing. I just feel like this culture needs to go back to the truth. And the truth is, if you just gross over a million or more last year from endorsements and albums and so fourth, then I don't want to hear you saying you struggling or robbing someone. I'm sorry. I know you want to connect with your listeners but honestly dude come on. You may not have forgot what it feels like to be in the house with no food or lights on, but its been a while since you had that situation. Now you can give us a story or two about your past or what you use to do and to me that's cool. But if you rich, I mean filthy rich....WHY ARE YOU STILL IN THE HOOD ROBBING MOTHER FUCKERS?! Just don't make sense to me.
Furthermore I know gangsters, real gangsters. Not you "studio only" hardcore cats. And that doesn't mean every rapper you hear talking about the streets doesn't back up what he says. That's not what I'm saying. So don't read this blog and jump in the wrong rappers face. YOU WILL GET YOUR HEAD KNOCKED OFF TRUST ME. I'm talking about these cats who keep screaming they robbing this person doing this doing that and every chain you got came from publishing money. I'm just saying man. You ain't in the hood no more. Nobody is putting out the question if you been through it our not, WE KNOW YOU HAVE. Its just that you not going through it now. And the hip hop culture is being true to you, to the person you are. If you want to do it hood, tell us about your past. If you want to talk about your life now, stop saying WE going through the struggle. Because if two mansions a few Bentley's and throwing thousands in the strip club is struggling...THEN WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU CALL WHAT THE NORMAL PERSON IS GOING THROUGH?!
In closing. If you want to hear an artist that really shares there life with you. I mean the true essence of hip hop. Well other than Marv & Cash, pick up a copy of one of Joe Buddens Mood Music Mix tapes. Doesn't matter which one. He keeps 100 every time. Not to say its other rappers who don't, but other than Marv & Cash, Joe does a great job at giving you him.

-CASH-

WWW.MYSPACE.COM/MARVANDCASH
YOUTUBE: MARV & CASH
GOOGLE: MARV & CASH

1 comment:

  1. i get what you're sayin and totally agree
    but what about the other end of the spectrum? what about the rappers sayin they got all this money and nice clothes and nice cars but in reality it's all rented?

    ReplyDelete